See Your Future

Cycling Logan to St. George - 430 miles - 6 days - August 8-14

Thursday, August 13, 2009

Day Five - Milford to Cedar City

People say that Mt. Washington, NH is the windiest place on earth. Bull. They have obviously never been to Central Western Utah. We all understand that Utah gets a southern wind before storms come in, but apparently-and everyone seems to have known this but us-there is always a stiff, southerly wind in the areas we rode through the past three days.

The nice, mid-week "downhill" days we looked forward to have turned into three days of pure agony. It's like we've been stuck at a David Hasselhoff concert or Satan has been sneezing for 72 hours straight. Actually, Satan sneezing and David Hasselhoff singing are one and the same when you think about it. How else can you explain Baywatch: Hawaiian Wedding? Anyway, for an idea of the type of wind we've been riding into, check out the below link.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HWTgKnU4alM&feature=related

Yup, that's exactly what it's been like; wicked witches and all. Pretty hard to pedal through that and feel ready to take on another day. However, everybody made it through today. We started about 90 minutes earlier than normal to try and get through the route before the wind really picked up. That sorta worked, but it did get us in to Cedar City early enough that everyone could have a nice 2-3 hour nap to help the recovery process.

Bottles are filled, bikes are clean, and we're ready to roll out of here bright and early tomorrow morning to tackle one more day of wind. 350 miles down, only 80 left. The palm trees await us.

4 comments:

  1. Its a good thing you have helmets on not to mess the hair do's. You'll really be thinking, "there's no place like home"!! The journey is almost complete. Is your new theme song? "bicycle, bicycle, I want to ride my bicyle", You guys are AWESOME!!! Wish I were there to see you come in. Thinking of you daily. I COMMEND ALL OF YOU!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We Love You guys!!! I wish we could have been there to see you ride in also. You had great cheers coming in I heard and we were sure cheering and praying for you here too. We are so so very proud of you all! Now I am just thankful that you didn't "Crash within the first five miles" :) We are so Proud of you all!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your doing wonderful=) Not a hour goes by that you are not in our thoughts. Just know that Im cheering you on, and praying that their will be no head wind, and that you will have nice cooler weather. I wish I could see you riding in, and see the victory on your faces.
    Carry On, Carry On, Carry On, Ride on one more day. <3 you

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesome job guys! Where's the post of the last day of the journey? Looking forward to it!

    ReplyDelete